Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bartv, Mar 3, 2008.

1. bartv
    bartv Member
    Which 3D app do you use & which file format do you prefer?

Hi,

following up on some of the struggles I see with the X3D and Collada export, I'm looking to see which file-formats you would like us to support. For this, I'd need to know: which 3D app do you use and which file format would you prefer?

I'm mainly looking for generic, interchangeable file-formats here (such as, but not limited to: VRML, DXF, STL) and not so much proprietary, application-specific formats. I've added some common formats to the poll. If your favorite file-format is not there, please leave it in a comment below.

Thanks!

Bart

2. 309_deleted
    309_deleted Member
    With VRML make sure use use both 1 and 2 versions and OBJ is a worthwhile format

3. 588_deleted
    588_deleted Member
    Hi All, this is my first post :cool: I'm very pleased to be part of this beta, it's just the right time for such a service imho.

I'm evaluating modo at the moment and I'm enjoying it very much. Would you believe it, I find this service and a new RP tutorial for modo in the same month!

http://www.luxology.com/store/training_series12.aspx

modo supports lxo, x3d, dxf, fbx, plt, obj, psd.

Best of success with your service folks.

4. joris
    joris Member
    Itchy,

The tutorial looks interesting, I'll take a look at it.

Joris

5. 891_deleted
    891_deleted Member
    I use Rhino 3D 4.0 and 3ds max (the former much preferred over the latter as I am really good with NURBS but I hate meshes). Rhino uses "3DM" and 3ds max uses "MAX."

6. EdZ
    EdZ Member
    I'm using (or intending to use) Solidworks, as it's the only 3d modelling package I'm remotely familiar with. Hopefully being a fully fledged 3d CAD package will help with design of actual objects.

7. 2496_deleted
    2496_deleted Member
    Solidworks. STL is the standard for most RP companies.

8. 1945_deleted
    1945_deleted Member
    Houdini, which can export to .obj and .dxf. .obj seems the simplest for raw polygons.

9. 499_deleted
    499_deleted Member
    The .obj format would be a great to support, as it is exportable and readable by most every 3d package, as well as a native format from Zbrush.

10. crisrose
    crisrose Member
    Solidworks!! :D

By far the best for technical/engineering work and no where near as irritating to learn and use as some programs i won't mention ;)

11. KoalaCreek
    KoalaCreek Member
  12. 3220_deleted
    3220_deleted Member
    I use 3Ds Max 8, and it uses .max files.
    But .3ds support would be cool also, that's what i can easily import my models to.

13. 4077_deleted
    4077_deleted Member
    I use mostly 3DS Max and ZBrush.

3DS Max EXPORTS

OBJ
    STL

and various others including VRML and I have a collada exporter that works with version 8, which I still have installed. Theoretically I should be covered.

I really don't expect you or anyone else to support the native max file.

ZBrush saves only its native format and exports only OBJ

OBJ really makes the most sense, it is right now the default de-facto cross platform 3D geometry file. Everyone uses it and tools for working with it in programs abound.

If I could have my choice for a program to export print-ready models from, it would be 3DS Max.

14. 4457_deleted
    4457_deleted Member

Please support OBJ
    It's compatible with every 3D app out there.

15. 4731_deleted
    4731_deleted Member
    Same here. Couldn't have said it better.

16. 3905_deleted
    3905_deleted Member
    I use Cinema4d. I would love to be able to upload .obj as there seems to be issues with the .stl output. Thanks. :)

17. Bakkendance
    Bakkendance Member
    I use a combination of Blender and Wings 3D. Wings to create a basic model and Blender to finish and detail it. I use .obj format to go between them so I agree that .obj support would be great.

18. 4589_deleted
    4589_deleted Member
    I use Blender for modeling - I find blender's workflow very fast and fluent and overall very fast and easy to use. As for format's I used .dae as it was the only one that seemed to work. I also think it would be nice to see .obj format supported - it's one of the most familiar and popular formats around.

19. 4077_deleted
    4077_deleted Member
    Well, I'm glad to see that there seems to be a general agreement about obj as the file format. I'd like to add that since it is the format that we are all using to go between our different 3D programs already it would be a good format to encourage people to upload and make available to others, so that they could download, objects created by others, learn from them, incorporate into their own designs or improve upon and re-upload to the community.

Web viewers have also made use of the obj format since 1996. I have a book published that year, called "Hooked on Java" which includes a wire frame viewer applet on page 88. This applet, written by Arthur van Hoff, of Sun Microsystems. He says that he chose to use the obj format because it was such a simple format that you could create objects with a text editor. I believe that the applet and source code are on the CD that came with the book.
    If web viewers for the obj format go back that far I have no doubt that your developers will find this a very convenient format with which they can do many things.

20. 3194_deleted
    3194_deleted Member
    I use Blender, so whatever format that Blender can output easily is fine :cool:
    I only used .stl for shapeways, if I double check my normals it is accepted 100%.