Health effects of using non-ceramics for food?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DanielBaamonde, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Hello,

I have a model that I am intending to have come in contact with drinks and I really can't print it in ceramic. I was wondering how unsafe the other materials are. Is it negligible like a slight chance of a stomach-ache, or really worrisome like a high chance of cancer.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Pretty much all the materials have elements that would come off in food or drink. Ceramics is glazed, and the glaze is food safe. Hence it being listed as food safe. Nothing else is coated in a food safe material so you will get pieces of the materials. I wouldn't risk it, or suggest risking it with any other material without giving it a food safe coating.

3. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    To echo Michael:

Shapeways does NOT recommend using any material besides glazed ceramics for food or liquids!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  4. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    Are Ceramics available unglazed, esp. for non-food applications.

5. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Unfortunately, we can not offer ceramics unglazed, as they are too brittle for transport in their unglazed state.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  6. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    Natalia, it is that very fragility that requires regular replacement in the application.

The raw ceramics is used as a good bearing material, once it has been laid-in,
    then for use in the application.

If suitable travel holders were supplied, would you consider?

7. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    I honestly don't think we could do that, it really is very brittle....but I can double check for you with our Materials Manager?

I'm curious now as to what you are creating?!