Ring Design

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by bloodletting284, Sep 6, 2012.

1. I was looking to have a design for a ring made. Basically like the link included below.

Gear Ring

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    That's a patented item - not just the design, but the workings, as in 'an invention' - good luck to anyone who takes this on.

3. Sad really as it's a very simple design (too simple for a patent?).

Not sure if the tolerances allow for it to be printed. A design just with cogs as decoration (not functional/moving) would be ok I guess. But the best idea is to come up with an idea that has not been done before. :)

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    It is not just a design, but a mechanism utilising a silimar geared setup to a planet gear set.
    And even if your Googlefu is mediocre, you will find court cases bought by the patent holders against copiers.

5. I'd either make it myself (IE, personal use), so that's what the OP needs to do. Or make it different. As you said, it's a planet mechanism (how this is patentable, I've no idea, orbital gears exist else where). PS, they are over 2000 years old. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicyclic_gearing

So make one without them.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  6. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    This was available awhile back on Grabcad
    Geared Ring - Kinematic Rev8- Drilled
    If you Google it the links are dead.
    gear ring.png

7. Probably because it's put up publicly. AFAIK there is nothing stopping you from making one for and by yourself, just not viable by or for anyone else.

Try for a different design, you never know, you might make something better!