Why isn't "polished" black SF available?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fraochdha, Aug 31, 2012.

1. fraochdha
    fraochdha Member
    I dig the white polished finish, but want it in black- is it not available, and why not?

2. neuralfirings
    neuralfirings Member
    Black polish has been tricky. If it's dyed first and then polished.. then the polish wears off the dye and it looks faded. If it's polished and then dyed, then the hot water in the dye makes the polish a bit rougher.

If you have any success polishing dyed SF yourself, please let Shapeways know!

3. fraochdha
    fraochdha Member
    Is it suggested to try and die wsf polished after receipt?

4. neuralfirings
    neuralfirings Member
    You can try, of course.. I haven't had much luck with my pieces. Paint sticks pretty well though--but then you get the paint texture, which might be good or bad depending on what you are using it for.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Keep patient a little while longer, no promises but I know polished colors are a work in progress.

6. Jukka K
    Jukka K Member
    Hi,
    :rolleyes:
    Any news yet on availability of colored polished strong and flexible?

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Material updates are at a slowed pace, as we're cleaning up InShape 2.0 (a software update). Once the clean up is done, new updates on the site will be fast and exciting, and everyone in SW will be able to work faster and more efficiently than ever before. So long story short, no update yet but be prepared to be amazed.

8. Jukka K
    Jukka K Member
    Thanks for the answer. Sounds great :p

9. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member