Why does a customer have to sign up to order?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lensman, Aug 31, 2012.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I'm pretty sure that a while ago Shapeways changed its policy regarding a customer placing orders. I was sure that one did not HAVE to sign up as a new Shapeways member in order to simply place an order. That appears to have changed. I just tried ordering as a new customer and, indeed, one DOES have to join Shapeways as a member. I really dislike that. If I order something online and don't expect to ever return I absolutely HATE having to join as a member and will often leave (yet another freakin' username and password to remember!!).

I feel this is a policy that is killing sales on Shapeways and would like some discussion from other members and Shapeways employees regarding this.

Glenn

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
  3. lensman
    Good point. Will do.

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Glenn,

I remember the same too.

I believe that to 'need to sign up' puts many people off making a purchase, especially when the puchase may be an impulse buy.

High street stores don't ask for all your info when making a purchase, the internet should be no different espescially when there once was a 'No sign up needed to buy' policy here on Shapeways.

Paul

5. lensman

I think you hit it right on the head there, Paul. And I'd be willing to bet that a LOT of sales on Shapeways are impulse buys.

Glenn

6. kiorodesign
    kiorodesign Well-Known Member
    ...totally agree....

7. lensman
    If anyone reading cares to vote on this please go to my UserVoice comment: HERE

EDIT: Link doesn't work but in any event I now can't find my post there. See my message below.

Glenn

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  8. stop4stuff
  9. lensman
    You're right, sorry. I just went there again (through YouKnowWho4Eva's link) and couldn't find it. I know I wrote it and will not re-post...

Which brings up another point: The UserVoice section is flawed. For one thing it not easy to find. I cannot find a single link to it from Shapeways site - I always go there from someone else's link as above. And, while browsing through it to find my post I wanted to add comments on other posts but couldn't do so. In UserVoice I wasn't signed in and when I clicked on the Sign In link I kept getting a new Forum window open up that showed me as signed in!!

Frustrating to say the least.

Glenn

10. stop4stuff
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  11. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Hi Guys,

To address the two issues here:

1. You have ALWAYS had to sign up to buy something on the site - we need to know where to send it! This is just like ebay, amazon and other shopping sites. We are thinking about enabling facebook sign-on, but not everyone is enamored with this as a solution.

2.The link to UserVoice is under the Feedback&Bugs section.

Currently we know the the single sign-on for UserVoice is not working. Recently UserVoice changed their policy and was spamming you guys when you logged on.

So we have turned off single-sign on for UserVoice, until we can resolve it and not have them spamming you!

Natalia

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  12. stop4stuff
    The link to feedback.shapeways.com is via 'Contact Us' and the login is broke.

Uservoice may be Shapeways 3rd party service supplier, but I suggest you go google 'uservoice shapeways' and see what useable links get returned - the clue is none!

13. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Apologies if my previous post was not clear - we have turned off the single sign on for UserVoice while they are spamming you, please post feedback in the bugs and feedback section for now.

You can stil post in UserVoice, you just have to log in there.

Paul - you might not have seen it because we disabled it before it could affect too many people. Or your spam filters caught it!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  14. stop4stuff
    ? UserVoice spamming who?

I've never had any emails from UserVoice (the integrated service that Shapeways use under the https://feedback.shapeways.com url) let alone spam.

Please expand.

Cheers,
    Paul