Painting directly onto the mesh surface, How??

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 210176_deleted, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm struggling with something I thought was very simple, hopefully someone can help me out! I'm new to this.

I have a 3D mesh of a bone (currently as an stl file) of which I want to color certain sections different colors by just digitally "painting" onto the surface and then export the painted mesh as an .obj or .wrl file. I've been working on this in Meshlab - the z-painting tool seems to do just what I want and it's easy to use, however when I go to export the model as an obj or wrl file and open it in another program, the colors are no longer there.

I've tried to create a texture map by going to Filters -> Texture -> vertex color to texture
    However I get an error saying "current mesh does not have Per Wedge Texture Coords."

Am I on the right track with trying to convert the painted area to a texture map? How do I set texture coordinates for the Z-painted areas?

Anyone know of any other software that might do what I need it to?

Thankyou!

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Your MeshLab Z painted model exported as VRML(92 or 2.0) should upload straight to Shapeways without any need to convert the vertex colour to a UV map - here's an example, no other processing involved :)

As a side note, Shapeways don't accept .obj files for colour printing.

Paul

[hr]