Non-orientable Bridge

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 203564_deleted, Aug 24, 2012.

1. I am trying to 3D print a bridge which is over 1 metre long in two parts. On the part 1 when i put it through netfabb it seems all fine but it won't upload to shapeways. On the second part there seems to be a problem with non-oreintable surfaces and won't upload either.

All the parts are non-manifold and I am having trouble fixing the model to upload. Not sure if it is a problem with the intersecting shells. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  3. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    As can be seen by the image your model has surfaces with no thickness. You will to give these parts at least the minimum wall thickness, plus there are extra rules for 'large' parts which will increase the minimum wall thickness.
    bridge.png

4. The whole part is meant to be printed as one solid piece with nothing hollowed. Does each surface need to be edited to 1mm even if the object is solid?

5. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Your model is actually made up of 4196 shells with 4148 holes, plus there are faces pointing the wrong way (inverted normals), which gives the impression that your model is hollow. I have tried to repair your model, as can be seen. The model now has 286 shells and 40 holes. The thickness is now showing correct. I can not repair it any further. You could try uploading the file to http://cloud.netfabb.com/
    bridge1.png

6. I get the same result when i try to repair it, however it is more of the problem that when i try to export the part it creates more errors. Is there a way of preventing these non manifold surfaces being created when exported? To do the automatic repair with a lower tolerance creates too much deformed geometry.

Attached Files:

7. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    You could try Viscam Mesh.
    http://www.marcam.de/cms/viscam-mesh.84.en.html
    It is a very good program available on a 30 day trial. I had a copy but my time ran out, it is very expensive to buy.
    What program did you use ro create your model?
    I noticed that most of the faults were on the sides between the rails, maybe if you do these again? Is there a way in your software to 'boolean' the parts together?

8. Thanks for the advice. I remodelled those side parts in rhino and put it through viscam mesh. There are no more errors and it passes the checks through netfabb however, it still refuses to upload. I'm not sure what the other parameters are in the upload checks which the model is not meeting as it doesn't mention anything specific.

Attached Files:

9. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member