Copyright Infringement WARNING . MUST READ!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JewelryLab, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JewelryLab
    JewelryLab Member
    This warning is for all sellers who is using popuplar video game names and others for their stuff , especially jewelry>
    Shapeways, WILL give away ALL your information, including your full name and home address at first request by Co attorney who's name, logo or design you're using for your products. By trying to make a few bucks here - you're putting yourself into risk of losing everything. How do I know this? They just did it to me, THANK YOU SHAPEWAYS! :mad:

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Did you ignore a takedown notice before that?

Shapeways are obliged by the DMCA to remove offending items, they are also obliged under the same legislation to issue full details.

The upshot, I'm afraid is, copy someone else's work and expect trouble.

Paul

[hr]

3. JewelryLab
    JewelryLab Member

4. stop4stuff
    OK, So just what is the issue, you say in your op "By trying to make a few bucks here". If someone else's Intellectual Property (IP) is used to acheive that, I have one question for you;
    Why do you think it is ok to copy someone else's work to make money?

[hr]

5. JewelryLab
    JewelryLab Member
    hey stop4stuff can you read? where do you see it says it's OK to copy someone else's Intellectual Property ? I posted Warning message because I see alot of people selling that kind of stuff, and I'm pretty sure that they feel safe about it .......
    In my case I got in trouble for selling ring model which I downloaded absolutely legally from file sharing CAD community, without realizing it was some jewelers copyright protected model
    I hope you're satisfied with my answer

6. stop4stuff
    Is it ok to legally download and use someone else's copy of a protected work to make money?

The point is - Use common sense when creating a model for sale.

If an item is based on film/game/real life/existing product then do some homework, ask the originators of the the work if you can do such & such, if they say no, respect that or expect to get into trouble. If you don't bother asking, then what's the fuss about, just take it as a lesson learned.

Useful reading - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Ac t

7. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Hi Walter,

As you stated, Shapeways received a DMCA takedown notice on July 18th, which we emailed to you and asked for you to remove a ring.

Since you did not respond within 24 hours, we took it down for you, as outlined in our Terms and Conditions:
    https://www.shapeways.com/legal/content_policy

We did not hear further from the attorney and took no further action.

We would like everyone to make whatever they like, as 3D printing is a technology that enables innovation. However, we do take copyright seriously and are legally obliged to respond to any DMCA take down notices we receive.

We also take privacy very seriously, and will NEVER give out personal details of our customers, unless we are legally obliged to do so. In this case, it would have meant a court order, which we did not receive. Their attorney may have found your information another way, Shapeways DID NOT give it out.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at natalia@shapeways.com

8. stop4stuff
    Hang on, Natalia, in a round-about way, are you saying the OP is telling fibs in his op?

Walter, I hope you get everything you deserve.

Paul

9. JewelryLab
    JewelryLab Member
    if you didn't read my previous post I'll repeat it again, It was legally available for download and use, It was not mensioned anywhere that it was someone elses design and I had no clue about that. If let say you check "download" box on your models, don't you think they'll be downloaded by other people and used in any way they like it?

10. JewelryLab
    JewelryLab Member
    don,'t worry about me, I'm doing fine, my case is closed since no crime was done, just keep making your squigglies - you're good at it :laughing:

11. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Hi Walter,

I did see it, and I am certainly not accusing you of using the file you found in bad faith.

However, ignorance of the law does not excuse...and in this case, it turns out the ring turns does have a copyright owner.

Perhaps the file you found was improperly uploaded, I'm not sure, and we do not regulate what is found online, all Shapeways can do is respond to requests of copyright infringement on our site.

12. JewelryLab
    JewelryLab Member
    Natalia,
    what you wrote isn't complitely true, I removed my model by myself as soon as i received email from you, there's wasn't 24 hour waiting period, but that's allright , I complitely understand your business, I just think you should make it clear for other sellers before they get busted and send them warnings before you receive a call from Co attorney, oh I forgot - that will hurt your business, so I guess everything will stay the same.....

13. stop4stuff
    What's "squigglies"?

It looks good, but I don't want to copy it if I get into trouble - or are you talking $ kinda 'squigglies'? :rolleyes:

It is clear for all exactly what Shapeways' standing is on the issue of copy/patent/design rights, Natalia linked to the Content Policy earlier. Simply put, Shapeways comply with the DMCA. It ain't rocket science... find summat on the interweb, question it before using it to make money for yourself... simples.

14. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Hi Walter,

I totally agree with you!

We want everyone to make whatever they like, and upon joining Shapeways, everyone agrees to the Terms and Conditions, in which we do warn people to make sure they have the rights to the models they upload;
    https://www.shapeways.com/terms_and_conditions

This includes that users are responsible for making sure their content complies with our Content Policy, not Shapeways.

Logistically, we put the onus on you because there is no way we can possibly know all the copyrights that exist!

I don't like receiving DMCA take down notices any more than you do, but in this case we are merely the messengers.

I do want to thank you for raising this topic, it is prompting me to make this clearer on our site, for all our users!

Because this conversation is relating to your specific case, if you want to discuss it further, as I mentioned earlier, feel free to contact me directly via email. I am closing this thread for now as it has become a conversation between us, which I am more than happy to continue via email. There is a copyright discussion happening in this thread already:
    https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=rview&goto=52 290#msg_52290

Thank you,
    Natalia

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.