Dual extrusion

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 197153_deleted, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Hi,

I am not new to modeling, but new to printing. I understand what the method of dual extrusion means, but I am not clear how the printer recognizes this process. How should the model be done in order for it to work?

Thanks.

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Dual Extrusion doesn't apply to any of the Shapeways printers. The closest thing they have that comes to it is the process used by Full Color Sandstone, and that's more like a BubbleJet printer, rather than dual extruders.

3. yes. I know that... I read through their material info last week when I joined... but I have a client now asking for it and I am just curious of how that works.

I am told it should be two different stl files(in different color), but I am not clear if they can intersect and still print fine or they should be not touching each other, but still be separate files. And when it comes to different color, does that mean different shaders will work or color should be applied to vertices...

4. I understand they should be in separate STL files. The separate files can have geometry that touches, but it can't overlap. The coloring is done in your modeling package before exporting to STL just so you can tell the separate parts from each other.

Here is more discussion on the matter (near the bottom of page): https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/makerbot/XkjVnsyCsMM