Suitable for Sandstone

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 100814_deleted, Jul 23, 2012.

1. This is my first piece for printing and I'm looking at materials.

This model wont pass the "wet sand" will it? Its actually split into three parts but each part has some pretty small thin details.

Machine.jpg

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Wet sand can be a little too strict for Sandstone in my opinion. I've seen many sculptures in Sandstone with tiny details, and pieces that wouldn't stand in wet sand. Those pipes need to be at least 2mm thick, and I'd say the same with the 2 valves. It's hard to tell, that box in the back either needs a stand to the ground, or you may have to make it's pipes thicker.

3. Thanks. Thats great to know, I'd really like to use sandstone initially because of the cost as I'm really just learning how this is going to work. I have a lot of models that I've accumulated over the years that I'd love to see made Real so this is just a first small test.

So... I'll just chop out the two sections with issues.

This newer version still has some small protuberances (the dials and buttons) but the whole thing is about 8cm high so they may be okay?

Thanks for your help.

Machine_sm.jpg

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Just keep in mind that the minimum detail for Sandstone is .4mm, and a rule of thumb for details is it can only be as tall as it is thick. So if your detail sticks out 1mm it should be 1mm thick at the base.

5. Got it.

I think I'll leave in the smaller bolts and see what happens. They should be within the size limits.

I'll make it hollow this evening and hopefully upload it tonight.

Thanks!