New Branding!

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by 7943_deleted, Jul 23, 2012.

1. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Hi guys,

We're so excited to share that starting today, Shapeways has a brand new look!
    https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1503-The-Shape-of-Wha ts-to-Come-Our-New-Look-Feel.html

As we continue to grow, we realized the website had to change with us, to reflect to showcase the future of what is possible with 3D printing... There are more designers, more materials and your designs are increasingly complex and amazing!

We hope this new design makes it clearer what Shapeways is about, helps you better showcase your work and is an overall seamless experience.

As you browse around the site, here's some things we hope you notice that will help you:

Designer contact higher on the product pages - so its easier for your customers to get in touch with you.

Designer Spotlight on the homepage - a weekly feature on community members

Materials Pages updates - for easier designing.

With the new rebrand, we are also launching a clearer materials section. We've consolidated all the most important information in a standard template. We also combed through the design rules and added a few extra bits that will help you design prints that are more likely to be successfully produced. For example, we now look at walls and wires minimums separately since they have different structural demands in a model. We also added information for all materials on accuracy, clearances, and much more. Take a good look at these rules and we can't wait to see what brilliant things you make with them!

We love the new look, and we hope you will too...and obviously we're dying to know what you think, so please share any feedback here!

Thanks!
    Natalia

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. BAROBA
    BAROBA Member
    Nice work on the redesign :)
    I am absolutely in love with your new materials-page :D
    Not just because my Bowie the bunny is featured, but it is a good idea to show off your materials this way.

Cheers,

Rob

3. I love it! My first project here!

4. NingHuaDesign
    NingHuaDesign Member
    I love the big buttons. They make visiting an easy and pleasure experience, and tempt people to click on them. However, the designer thumbnail on each model's page look terribly blur, maybe it needs to be fixed ?

5. MichaelMueller
    MichaelMueller Well-Known Member
    Hi,
    the new style is cool. Looks a little unfamiliar at first but now I like it.
    One question about the design guidlines.

For stainless steel it now says ...
    "Multiple Part per STL: Yes"
    Till now it was not allowed to use multiple parts in one file (expect earrings and cufflinks). E.g. a two part locket was rejected. Now this would be OK?

For silver it's still ...
    "Multiple Part per STL: No, except for earrings & cufflinks"

So there is a change in the desing rules for stainless steel or is it a mistake?

Michael

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I've reported this for you, hopefully will be fixed soon.

Michael Mueller: I'll ask Nancy about this. I was under the same impression as you.

After talking to Nancy, it is supposed to have limitations as well. Will be updated today

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  7. MichaelMueller
    MichaelMueller Well-Known Member
    Hi Mike,
    thanks for asking Nancy!

I've noticed that the text now says:

"Multiple Part per STL: Yes. Best for earrings and cufflinks--multipart files drastically increase handling costs overall, and we want to keep giving everyone the best price."

This sounds like "yes, but please don't use it.". I really would prefer a defined rule like:

"Natural pairs like earrings, cufflinks ...
    and also items with max. 3 parts that belong together, e.g. a locket ..."

Without a clear rule, you never know if your model will be rejected before printing or not. :(
    Also it would be great if the rule would be the same for the silver material.

Michael

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  8. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Hi, models will not be rejected. We've allowed this before and we don't want to all of the sudden reject designs that's been printed before, and designers whose businesses depend on Shapeways.

However, we want to be transparent about areas that are high risk for price increase (due to high costs of labor), which is why the rule is worded that way. We hope that the community can be cognizant of these risky points, because we want to keep the prices low and reasonable for everybody here!