Updating a 3D file

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 40877_deleted, Jul 23, 2012.

1. 40877_deleted
    40877_deleted Member
    I am having trouble understanding instructions on “MyEditPage”. First of all I clicked on “Update this 3D file” and I uploaded the repaired version of the model. Bearing in mind the word “Update”, I thought this would automatically replace the original version. But since it didn’t, I assume it’s there ‘behind’ the original file, so if I go back to “MyModelsPage”, and click on “Delete”, I will delete the original version of the file to reveal the repaired version. Which will automatically update the 360º rendered Icon, while keeping all the Photos and Video intact.
    From what I have experienced when I was clearing out the other models last week, Delete is an irreversible procedure. So it would save me a lot of grief if someone could confirm this.
    Regards, Tony.

2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    No you do not have to delete a model to update it.

It sometimes just takes a while.
    Did you get the email that is was processed succesfully?
    After this the file should be ok.
    Ik think the rendering etc can take a little longer though.

Cheers.

3. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    Further: I recently had a revision to a drawing I wanted updating, but once the Order is accepted, that is it without any further revisions.

4. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    I like the new layout shapeways changed to, but ever since this change, when I try to update a file, it no longer gives me the option to choose mm or cm and when I upload the file it gets rejected due to size issues. Uploading a new file works, but updating an existing file, the measurement option is not there.

5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    It looks like the update model upload is treating the model measurement units as inches :confused

6. Dragoman
    Dragoman Member
    Not nice. It's already tricky enough to scale a model to, say 1/87 (HO railroad scale), without having to additionally convert it from metric to Imperial units.

Greetings
    Karl Heinz

7. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    No worries, we'll file a bug report.

8. stop4stuff
    I already sent Natalia an email with this and a couple of other little bugs.

9. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    Thanks. but in the meantime I went ahead and uploaded the file as a completely new file and was able to order my items.

10. 40877_deleted
    40877_deleted Member
    Hi Virtox,
    Thank you for taking an interest in my problem, I admire your work - particularly the Gyros. I don't want a 3D print, the reason I'm updating the file is to replace the rendered 360º view of a model in my shop, which shows damage on the original file. Attached is a screen-grab of "MyEditPage" as it is (and for a few days now), with the original file and the up-dated file. What I want to know is, if I go back to My Models Page and click on 'Delete' will that delete the original file and revel the up-dated file?
    Tony.

Attached Files:

11. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    If you click on delete, the entire thing will delete and all you will be left with is the rest of your models excluding this one. Updating the model has always worked, but it looks like theres an issue going on at the moment. I get the same too.. What I did to work around this is I uploaded the model as if it we're a new model and the 3d view showed up fine, but updating an existing model is where the issues at for right now...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  12. 40877_deleted
    40877_deleted Member
    Thanks for that Sal, you have saved me a lot of grief.
    Tony.

13. stop4stuff
    After a dit of digging, without the 'Units of measurement' dropdown, the updated file actualally uploads as meters, Shapeways software sees that the model is too big for the printers and assumes that the units should be inches so converts the model to inches - upshot is, until a fix is in place, rescale the model in your software to 0.001 (if originally modelled as mm) before upload.

14. 40877_deleted
    40877_deleted Member
    Can I just double check with you regarding the details of your delete disaster. Please see attached "MyEditPage", there are two files uploaded.
    One is the original file and the other is the up-dated version of the file. Was that how it was for you? Because my theory is that if I "Delete", I will leave the up-dated file in place (along with the photos and my video). Can you confirm if you had two file present.
    Regards, Tony. to Sal G.

Attached Files:

15. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    If you delete an item, you delete that item from your shop. It does not take you back to the previous version. When you update a model, the previous version is gone. So if you hit the delete button, the entire item will be deleted, and you'll have to re-upload the version that you want.

16. 40877_deleted
    40877_deleted Member
    Hi Youknowwho4eva,
    I'm not sure if you have seen my attachment "MyEditPage" which shows the two files together - the original and the up-dated files. Which posses the question, will delete just take out the original file and leave the up-dated file?
    Regards, Tony.

Attached Files:

17. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Yes I saw, that is a log for you to see your updates. If you hit delete, it deletes the item. Every associated file, image, description, will be deleted. You will go to My Models, and it will be gone completely. Currently there is no way to revert to a previous upload.

18. stop4stuff
    Hi Tony,

The information is there as information only. The two lines are there as a record for you if you were to use an incremental naming system for your files - maybe a previous one was better so you'd know what the file name was from the upload and update information shown on the model page and be able to replace the model with the better one - deleting the model deletes the model and no going back - for want of a better explaination, you'd be deleting the model number from Shapeways system (the model number is in the URL for the model page)

Paul

[edit] overlapped/ninja'd with/by Mike :confused

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  19. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Deleting the model also removes any history you may have wanted to keep about the prior model's sales, etc.

20. 40877_deleted
    40877_deleted Member
    Thanks Stony,
    That is pretty drastic deleting, I came so close to doing it. Thanks to everyone who has warned me. I'll wait till Shapeways puts it right.
    Regards, Tony.