Shapeways : ProJet HD 3500 or HD 3500Plus ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 194535_deleted, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Hello

So shapeways has bought a projet HD 3500 plus for their NY office.
    https://www.shapeways.com/blog/

The HD3500 plus offers better 3d details (16 microns layers).
    https://www.printin3d.com/sites/printin3d.com/files/downloads /ProJet_3500_Plastic_USEN.pdf

But what about the Netherlands office ?
    I thought it was only the HD 3500.

Does it mean the NY shapeways will produce the more detailed prints and that the european customers will have to order in NY for the best detailed prints ?

Or is shepaways thinking about buying a 3500 HD plus for their NL office ?

Thx

2. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    I've not heard SW announce they were going to offer builds in the XHD mode. And if they did pieces would take twice as long to build and therefore would likely cost twice as much as FUD.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    From my understanding, NY will produce FUD alone until more printers are installed. NY is to expand production, not move it from the Netherlands. So everything that is made over there will still be made over there, and the new stuff over here will be to boost current production. In the future, new materials are always a possibility.

4. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Bill is correct,

We do not print on XHD at this point.
    At the moment we only offer HD and UHD :)

Mitchell

5. Thanks for your answers.

However, reading the forum, i can say many people from the miniatures/ model trains woud be happy to print on XHD to solve the "steps" problem and get better details.

One Uk company works with the Projet HD 3500 plus and get nice resuts. Of course, the prices are not the same.

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    The issues with Shapeways FUD is to do with how the boundary layer between the wax support material and the acrylic model material interact when being printed. There is generally some layering or stepping in whatever material a model is printed in due to the additive nature of 3D printing.

Granted an XHD printed model will show less signs of layering, however how does the material stand up once the corn oil is removed (i.e. fully degreased and ready for painting), will it still be 'frosty'?

fwiw, I have a FUD model sat next to me drying out after some 8+ 380 second cycles in an ultrasonic cleaner with water and washing up liquid (wul), most of the corn oil has gone, however there are some areas that feel sticky to the touch and the model still has an oily smell (the wul is apple fragranced)

7. I agree stop4stuff, the XHD could solve the layers issue.

About cleaning the wax, it seems heptane (the US brand used is Bestine) works quite well. If you are european like me, don't know the name of an heptane brand.

8. pardon my ignorance... what if FUD?

9. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    Maybe. The resolution in the x y plane is the same as the present machines. We could just end up with 'interesting' discussions about orientations.

10. stop4stuff
    No, the layering is not the main issue with FUD (Projet 3500 UHD), wax is not the main issue either - the issue with FUD is the boundary layer between the wax and the printed plastic which, upon delivery, is filled or part filled with corn oil - remove the corn oil and the material becomes frosted to the extent that the frosting overtakes any kind of layering until the frosted regions are filled with paint when some intermittent layering becomes visable again on larger flatter surfaces.

11. stop4stuff
  12. I have had a number of models printed using the HD3500. The boundary layer is still a huge problem. I have not found the thinner build layer to markedly improve the surface finish after removal of the boundary/wax material. I believe that this is a fundamental problem with this manufacturing approach.

13. Which UK company would that be please- as I had a sample print in 16micron of one of my models and it was superb - far superior to the same model from shapeways - would love to find a bureau in UK that can print reliably in this resolution - price is always a factor but if it falls between SW and getting the stuff done on a perfactory - then I would be sold on it...

regards
    Andy

14. Cheers - much appreciated.

VCurrently using a perfactory printyer from the states - but is expensive - but quality is exceptional. the 16micron projet is excellent and will meet my needs and I expect it to be cheaper than perfactory.

regards
    andy

15. Your are welcome.

Just tell me how your project evolves, cause i was also thinking about working with one of these companies.