how to set size in blender ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 52530_deleted, Jul 12, 2012.

1. 52530_deleted
    52530_deleted Member
    Ok, so i export fom blender to obj, but how do i know howbig it will be printed ?

2. Download Meshlab. It will show the same dimensions as Shapeways will. Netfabb can handle STL format, which helps in Blender, as 1 blender unit will be regarded a a mm, if you set it to mm when you upload.
    Meshlab is your best bet, since I have no experiance with OBJ files, and can only advise to dl Meshlab.:)

I ran a test for you with a object file format. I exported a OBJ file of a cube in blender 10x10x10 blender units. Set scale at mm. Result at shapeways was 10x10x10, with correct volume and dimensions for mm

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  3. 52530_deleted
    52530_deleted Member
    Thanx, and how do i know what the final price will be depending on how many cm2 ?

thanx !

4. Mswlik
    Mswlik Active Member
    also you can change what type of units are shown, metric or imperial. You can do this by going into the scene tab in the properties window.

5. use blender!

You can set blender to whatever units that you want and they will be used. i would certainly suggest not outputting obj files and recommend stl files. the only thing is that when you do that you note what is your units- metric or standard- and then when you upload that is what you use... this way metric is equal to mm though.

6. When you upload the model, will tell you its volume, as was mentioned before. To get the cost, multiply the cost/ cubic centimeter by the volume.(This does not include shipping and handlng.*Shakes Fist at UPS)

I forgot to mention in a earlier post, that the dimensions for an object can be found in the N property panel, while in object select mode. Another tidbit is that if you ever scale an object in object mode, you have to apply scale(CTRL A) , or just scale it in edit mode, without having to apply scale. This is needed also if you want the correct wall thickness to be applied using the solidify modifier, to name a few.

The dumb Imperial/Metric scale is options are just used for precise dimensions for renders.i.e making renders for models of a certain measurement format, more or less. Regard a BU as a mm, as mentioned above

7. blender is able to do everything that you ask if you set it up properly... no need for any other programs...

please see my youtube video for how to set up blender for printing...

http://youtu.be/dGs-c-YIGbM

chris

8. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    I'm definitely a Blender newbie, but I've been working with models at Blender's default primitive scale, i.e. a new circle, cylinder or cube scale.

I build the model, export to STL, then check the integrity and dimensions with netfabb (the free edition). I can upload to Shapeways and check the dimensions of the bounding box - mostly it's height I'm looking at.

If the dimension isn't what I expect, I take a calculator and divide the Shapeways dimension into the desired dimension to create a scaling factor. This can be applied to the model in Blender then the model exported again to STL.

I know it sounds terribly fiddly, but I find the cameras/viewports work best at Blender default scales (I get a lot of Z clipping if the model is 'big') - maybe I need to practice with scene scales to smooth the workflow!

The opposite is true of Sketchup, where it's better to work in a huge scale, then scale the models down. I guess I'm applying that in reverse to Blender.

9. For Blender, to create models for a 3D printer, be careful about scaling in object mode. Thats for scenes, not the precise mesh you need for a printer. Scale in edit mode, or use apply scale to the object if you just have to scale it in object mode.. Just consider that Shapeways will regard a Blender Unit as 1 mm. And as Stoney said" This is or the real world."