• Note: The Name-Plate holding the Tram is movable, so it could slide around the edge of the Moebius Band.
• I created these models (my artistic interpretation of the actual New Roosevelt Island Tram) to mark the Inauguration of the new Roosevelt Island Tram and my 70th Birthday (both events are taking place in November of 2010).
See my other ROOSEVELT ISLAND TRAM designs here: • BRACELET WITH WORKING NEW ROOSEVELT ISLAND TRAM (#1) http://www.shapeways.com/model/189327/bracelet_with_working_r_i_tram___2_.html?gid=mg • BRACELET WITH WORKING NEW ROOSEVELT ISLAND TRAM (#2) http://www.shapeways.com/model/189215/bracelet_with_movable_r_i__new_tram___1_.html?gid=sg38482 • MOEBIUS RIOC SCULPTURE - STUDY #4 http://www.shapeways.com/model/187378/moebius_rioc_sculpture___study__4.html?gid=sg38482 • NEW-TRAM EARRINGS / PENDANTS http://www.shapeways.com/model/163220/the_new__2010__roosevelt_island_tram.html?gid=sg38482 • NEW-TRAM RING http://www.shapeways.com/model/181463/the_new__2010__roosevelt_island_tram_ring.html?gid=sg38482 • NEW-TRAM CUFF-LINKS http://www.shapeways.com/model/181617/rioc_cufflinks_012__fixed__stl.html?gid=sg38482 • SOCCER BALL TRAM KEYRING / PENDANT (#1 http://www.shapeways.com/model/189023/soccertram_09__fixed__stl.html?gid=sg38482 • OLD-TRAM EARRINGS / PENDANTS http://www.shapeways.com/model/139021/the_roosevelt_island_tram__earrings_.html?gid=mg • OLD-TRAM KEYRING / PENDANT http://www.shapeways.com/model/121721/the_old_roosevelt_island_tram__3__30__.html?gid=sg38482
See all my other designs here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/opresco
• See YouTube movie at the bottom of this page: "CROSSING THE EAST RIVER ON THE ROOSEVELT ISLAND TRAM" Test for the beginning and end titles for an upcoming 3d animation (chroma-keyed with actual footage) movie series which tells the story of the creation of a series of 3D-art models. These models — based upon the historical monuments on Roosevelt Island — are made for direct 3d printing in Stainless Steel, Sterling Silver, Glass, and Plastic at SHAPEWAYS - the world leader in Personal 3d Printing. Introducing the original song "CROSSING THE EAST RIVER ON THE ROOSEVELT ISLAND TRAM" composed and sung by JONATHAN KALB ( http://www.JonathanKalb.org ) ( http://www.cascador.com/People/Kalb/Kalb.htm )
Ovidiu Opresco Artist / Designer / Inventor / Filmmaker -----------------------------------------------------
Based upon the geometry of the Icosahedron.
Can be worn as a pendant; lanyard not included.
During the late 70's and early 80' I became highly fascinated by Polyhedra and its Duality.
Intrigued by the little known fact that Plato and Archimedes described their wonderful objects by drawing them with just a stick on the sand, I set up to replicate (well, more or less :-) their extraordinary feat by strictly using only a "T" square, a pair of Compasses, a set of 2 Triangles, and a Ruler.
For the next 5 years I practically lived inside Polyhedra :-) and, what I used to call "The Archimedes' Curse", ended up to be, in fact, "The Archimedes' Blessing"!
The Polyhedral Sculptures depicted below were hand made (from scrap offset plates) and assembled with machine screws from stackable modular pieces. The modules were drawn/designed on a drawing table while strictly using only a "T" square, a pair of Compasses, a set of 2 Triangles, and a Ruler.
I was extremely pleased when, a few years back, Prof. George Hart (Department of Computer Science, Department of Computer Science, STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY) included some of my Polyhedral Sculptures, alongside work by Buckminster Fuller and other great designers in his comprehensive COURSE STUDY: COMPUTER SCIENCE AND SCULPTURE (pg. 39-40, OPRESCO).
P R O P O S A L
for a 29.35 meters Steel Sculpture on any of these suggested locations:
1. Paris, France.
2. Bucharest, Romania.
3. Central Park, New York.
4. Roosevelt Island, New York.
5. Tirgu Jiu, Romania.
6. The "Y" dam, Constanta, Romania.
The steel structure is relatively easy to erect from prefabricated steel modules that will be
highly polished and TIN coated before assembling.
The 34 helically distorted rhomboidal modules comprised in the sculpture are calculated
to reach a height of 29.35 meters when the actual structure is assembled.
Exterior elevators could be added on the spiraling columns to reach a visitors' platform on
top of the structure.
The entire structure could rotate on its foundation, as shown in the animation below.
Here's my homage to COANDA.
"Of all the possessions of this life fame is the noblest; when the body has sunk
into the dust the great name still lives." Johann Friedrich Von Schiller
• Plastic: for use with any 1.5" Diameter Battery Operated Tea Lights; I've got 6 for $4.99 here: http://www.batteryoperatedcandles.net/everlasting-led-p-tea-lights.html • Ceramics & Metal: for use with any 1.5" Diameter real Tea Candles and/or Battery Operated Tea Lights.