Last month, we launched Wall Thickness Visualization to help you see areas where your model might need improvement to survive 3D printing, and now we help you fix them. Wall Thickness Visualization identifies weak points in your models with areas below our recommended wall thickness guidelines.
Wall Thickness Fixing is an add-on to the Wall Thickness Visualization tool that actually thickens walls to the minimum recommended wall thickness for the material you’re working with. You can click ‘Save and Exit’ to apply your fixes or Download the fixed model files for use in your 3D Modeling software.
Excited? Check out this example of a model fixed with Wall Thickness Fixing:
Are you drooling over those screenshots? Here’s how you can start fixing your models:
1. Upload a model to Shapeways or view the existing Model Edit page.
2. Look for any materials that have a ‘View Thin Walls’ warning (this can take a few minutes)
3. Click on the ‘View Thin Walls’ link
4. Click ‘Fix Thin Walls’ to generate the proposed fix geometry (this can take a few minutes)
5. Preview the proposed changes highlighted in blue
6. Choose one of three options:
1. Calibrating the checking process – Currently a person checks every model that comes in to ensure that it meets our design guidelines and thus should be manufacturable. We’re now comparing results across different checkers to ensure that our 3D Printing Engineers are consistent in how they locate and find problems.
2. Giving you more transparency into what’s happening with your order – We’re starting to surface more information about what’s going on with your design and how it handles each step of the manufacturing process, from printer to post-processing, to shipment.
3. Building better automated tools – Wall Thickness Visualization and Fixing are just the start of more automated tools to help you find structural problems with your models as quickly as possible.